- On page 9-28 of the RV-14 plans, setting the rivets on the elevator trailing edge wedge is addressed.
- The first step is to lightly (partially) set the rivets with (2) flat squeezer dies per figure 2 of the plans.
- Jay Pratt and Bob Avery came up with the idea to use (2) modified / angled squeezer dies to finish set the flush rivets.
- The trick was how do you keep 2 angled squeezer sets in alignment? For those of you old enough to remember cloth diapers and safety pins, you will see where they got the idea for the safety pin alignment part of the tool.
- Note this tool is only for the RV-14 elevator trailing edge wedge and will not work on the rest of the -14 control surfaces as those standard wedge angles are different.
RV-14 ELEVATOR WEDGE RIVET SQUEEZING TOOL (SAFETY PIN STYLE) PART # 14-1801 &/or SSF 14
This tool is designed for squeezing the flush rivets on the RV-14 elevator trail edge that has the Van’s
Aircraft # E-01423 aluminum wedge, and the reverse angle at the trailing edge (note the trailing edge is
thicker at the back than it is about 1/2” inboard on the skin). ALSO NOTE ONLY THE RV-14 ELEVATORS
ARE THIS CONFIGURATION – ALL THE OTHER CONTROL SURFACES ON THE AIRCRAFT KITS USE THE VAN’S
AIRCRAFT # AEX-WEDGE THAT TAPERS TO A POINT.
Install this tool in your hand or pneumatic squeezer. The wire spring part of the tool keeps the dies in
alignment as each die has a 4 degree angle on the die surface. If you have a 3” deep yoke the wire
spring end will fit into the back reach of the yoke. For shorter yokes the spring can sit beside the back
throat of the yoke on either the left or right side – (depending on your preference / left or right handed
use). Adjust the die gap to match the approximate thickness of the elevator wedge and skins when the
squeezer ram is at the end of the power stroke. Use the wire part of the tool as a visual guide to be
perpendicular to the elevator trailing edge. Center the dies over the rivet and carefully squeeze a rivet.
Adjust the die gap as needed to get the desired results. Please note we have marked this tool with RED
HEAT-SHRINK TUBING on the wires for identification purposes as there is a different angle rivet
squeezing tool for use on the other control surface on the Van’s Aircraft kits. AVERY TOOLS 5/2014